When you are going to JJ Mall, you can leave at MRT stop at Kamphaeng Phet. It will be much easier than you come by BTS to Mochi. A few hundred meters along the street of Kamphaeng Phet 2 from the exit of the MRT station, there is this shoping mall. JJ Mall is a shopping mall like MBK Mall, where you can find good bargains from there.
The JJ foodcourt located at the 2nd floor of the complex building. Just before I was going there, I read this article "40 bangkok foods we can't live without" and you can find a few of mentioned dishes from this food court. I took the number 21, Pad Ga Pow Moo Kai Dow from the article just for foolproof.
This dish come with a fried egg on top. Beneath it is the wok-stir minced pork meat. Despite the spiciness of the dish, you can taste tiny sweetness and saltiness in the sauce. The sauce has fish oil and oyster sauce. Moo means pork, Kai Dow means fried egg and Ga Pow means basil leaves, it makes sense to me, stir fried basil leaves with pork and fried egg. Dark sweet soy sauce is used for browning the minced meat.Not so visible from the name are the chopped long beans, which are also stir fried. In some place the dish is spiced up with the Prik Kee Noo too, the Thai Bird Eye Chillies. Very typical Thai dishes that any Thai mother cooks for their children.
Yellow curry egg with chicken and rice. It is stir fired with onions, pepper and tomatoes. I have eaten different versions of this in other places. This one in the JJ food court comes with a bit more moisture scrambled egg on side, more oily sauce with the rice. On the other hand, it goes pretty well with the rice.
It is a very simple dish that you can make it at your home. It looks really modesty, but it is very known in thailand and one of the dish you must try. There is a thai food blog written by Mark Weins, which I think it is worth of reading. You can get a free book from the website titled "Bangkok $1 menu", which in my opinion has a really reality introduction to Bangkok economic dishes.
- 1. In Suvarnabumi airport, there are phone prepaid card sold at the entrance door of arriving hall after you pass thru custom border checking.
- 2. From the Suvarnabumi airport, you can take the express line train to the center.
- 3. If you are coming from Don Mueng airport,you can go to the center by taking A1 air conditioned bus (at arrival hall gate 6) to for example Mochi BTS skyline station in the city center.If you are going to Don Mueang Airport from Mochi BTS station, remember to exit from Exit 3 from Mochi Station, where the A1 bus is 100 meters away from the bridge and usually stopping there like 10 minutes. You can buy your ticket in the bus, around 30 bahts at writing time. However the bus is not operated after midnight til morning. Ref: Forum with bus picture
- 4. The tuk-tuk taxi can be expensive for tourist, recomendable taking taxi, which has "metered taxi" on top. There is an good article about this in a website, Transportation in Bangkok
- 5. Type of socket/plug is like the one used in North America, commonly A type(US) with two flat pin connector.
- 6. If you hear a song played in the BTS station or movie theater suddenly and at the same time all other people are standing still. Don't be surprise that you MUST do the same, it is Thailand's national anthem.