Cendol, one of my favourite heatkiller. You can have this in Indonesia, Brunei and Singapore too. I had this cendol at Penang road. It is one of the top 3 Cendol in penang for sure. No wonder they have already another outlet close to Komtar shopping mall. When you are at Penang road, make sure you go to the crowded stall one, believe it is worth of waiting.
You will like this dessert, if you like cocounut milk. The coconut milk is poured on top and beneath it is the syrup made of sugar cane, the brown sugar. The jelly thing is made of pandan leave, rice flour and hunkue flour. The pandan leave gives the colour and flavour. That is it, when you eat the "jellys", you are eating pandan leave flavoured rice.
Some how I like to eat this solely, not together and combined with other hawkers food. The Cendol is so sweet for me and rich for my stomach that I barely need to order other hawkers food.
Watch out if you are coming from another end of the road, another end has no this chendol at the corner. The reason for that, there may be another laksa house, which may confuse you. Just go to the laksa house which is closest to the chendol stall. The other laksa houses were trying to take a share of this authentic laksa store.
Penang Laksa, a local Penang famous dish made of fish soup and noodles. Yeah, it is just a bit spicy, not much. It has a strong sour flavour due to tamarind ingredient. This give the dark colour to the soup, and it is darkened with the prawn paste and belacan. It is usually decorated with a few herbs on top. With this combination of prawn paste, belacan and tamarind, to someone, this is quite an addictive master piece. You can like it as it is served or you can ask more prawn paste to sweetened it up. But you only ask from seller to put more spice when you are ordering it from the stall
For some, it may not be the best hangover food to be recommended, trust me, I know. Some how the strong flavour smell, the steam of hotness and the appearance was too much for me.
Many people from other country don't know that there are two version of Laksa. They are totally different. If you order a Laksa in Kuala Lumpur, it can be made of curry soup, but in Penang they are fish soup. Before you place order, you can simply ask, is that Assam Laksa(Penang) or Curry Laksa(KL version). To make you guys more confused, we penangite call Curry Laksa in Penang as Curry Mee
- 1. Remember to take enough coins for commune bus's ticket. Driver won't return small changes. First below 7km journey costs about RM1.40 (year 2015).
- 2. Always take a package of tissue paper along. Kopitiam, low cost cafeteria doesn't include one in wash room.
- 3. Penang route planner web site: Penang Journey Planner(http://www.rapidpg.com.my/journey-planner/plan-my-trip/)
- 4. Postcards from the kiosks, stamps from the post office. There is one post office at Prangin Mall nearby.
- 5. Type of socket/plug is like the one used in UK, G type(UK).
- 6. Tap water: Recommending to boil it first. A bottle of mineral water costs less than an euro.